Freehold New Jersey Surgical Mistakes Attorneys
Holding Surgeons And Hospitals Accountable For Life-Threatening Errors
Learning you have to have any type of surgical procedure can be nerve-racking, as there are always inherent risks to such procedures. Many things can go wrong in the operating room and, sometimes, the surgeon and their team cannot fix the problem. On the other hand, some mishaps during surgery that are preventable and are the result of medical negligence.
Negligent mistakes during surgery should never happen. When they do, patients may face a long and costly road to recovery – often, much longer than their surgical recovery should have been. If you suffered injuries due to a surgical error, you should discuss your legal rights with an experienced Freehold medical malpractice attorney as soon as you can.
How Surgical Errors Happen
You should trust your surgeon to properly prepare for the procedure and perform the surgery to the best of their ability. Unfortunately, this does not always happen, and some patients wake up from surgery in devastating condition, or they may not wake up at all. Some common surgical errors that can cause serious harm include:
- Operating while impaired by drugs or alcohol
- Operating while overly fatigued
- Performing the procedure on the wrong body part (e.g., replacing the left knee instead of the right)
- Performing the wrong procedure on the wrong patient
- Not examining a patient’s medical history and identifying escalated risks
- Anesthesia errors, such as administering the wrong type of drug or allowing a patient to wake up during a procedure
- Not properly sterilizing equipment or hands and arms
- Leaving surgical implements, such as sponges, inside a patient
- Not providing adequate post-operative care
Many surgical errors can lead to severe infections, which require longer hospital stays and additional medical treatment. Other surgical errors can result in traumatizing injuries, which may lead to subsequent surgeries, permanent disabilities, or even death. Victims of surgical mistakes should always speak with a lawyer about their legal options for seeking compensation.
Bringing Claims Against Doctors And Hospitals In New Jersey
All surgeons have the responsibility to act as another similarly trained surgeon would in the same situation. When a surgeon, anesthesiologist, or hospital does not meet the required standard of care, surgical errors can happen, and patients can get hurt. The law gives victims of medical negligence the right to file a medical malpractice claim against the responsible healthcare professional.
A medical malpractice claim allows you to seek compensation for your many losses stemming from the surgical error. Such losses can include:
- The costs of additional medical treatment needed due to the error
- Lost income if a patient was out of work longer because of the error
- Pain and suffering experienced by the patient
- Permanent impairments resulting from the surgical injuries
- Wrongful death
Medical malpractice claims are highly technical, and doctors have insurance companies ready to defend against malpractice claims. You need the right lawyer handling your case and protecting your rights.
Contact A Surgical Mistakes Lawyer In Freehold Today
At Lomurro, Munson, Comer, Brown & Schottland, LLC, our Freehold medical malpractice attorneys help patients who sustained unnecessary injuries. Please call 732-482-9285 or contact us online for a free case evaluation today.