The Attorneys You Want On Your Side

Do You Need a Police Report to File a Slip and Fall Claim in NJ?

On Behalf of | Jul 10, 2019 | Slip & Fall |

Proving that a store, business, or another property owner should be liable for your slip and fall can be a challenging task. It is important to take certain steps after a fall to help protect your legal rights as an accident victim. First, always get medical attention if you believe that you suffered any injuries and call 911 if you need emergency assistance. If you do not need emergency care, there are steps you can take at the location of the accident, such as calling the police to ensure they file a police report.

Police Reports After Slip and Falls

After a slip and fall, always report the incident to the management or business owner. The company should have policies regarding internal reports, and you want to make sure this report is accurate and fairly represents what happened. In addition to an internal report, you also may want to call the police.

A police officer should arrive on the scene if you call 911 or the local police line if it is not an emergency. The officer will investigate what happened and compile their findings in a report. This report can contain:

  • Your account of what happened
  • Any hazards or dangerous conditions involved, including possible code violations
  • The contact information of witnesses to the accident
  • Witness accounts of how the slip and fall occurred
  • The nature of your injuries

Having an official report can be helpful if you decide to take legal action and seek compensation for your losses. If an officer cites the business for code or safety violations, this can be especially beneficial for a later insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit.

If you cannot wait at the scene of the accident for the police to arrive, you might be able to file a report at a later time at the police station. Seek a copy of the report once it is completed to check for any inaccuracies. If the officer made a mistake, request to have the report amended to make sure it truly reflects what happened.

Call an Experienced NJ Injury Attorney

After reporting the accident and seeking medical treatment, you should discuss what happened with a personal injury lawyer who handles slip and fall cases. A lawyer can review police reports, internal store reports, any photos you have, medical information, and more to determine whether the evidence indicates negligence on the part of the business. Having all of the information contained in the police report can make this process simpler in many situations.

Consult with a Freehold Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer Right Away

Presenting a police report or proving safety violations can make an insurance claim easier after a slip and fall accident. You want to have a skilled personal injury attorney from Lomurro Law handling this process for you. Call 732-482-9285 or contact us online to learn more about your rights and options today.