The Attorneys You Want On Your Side

What Kind of Compensation Can I Get After an Accident in NJ?

On Behalf of | Aug 20, 2019 | Personal Injury |

An injured person is eligible for different types of compensation, or awards, after being involved in an accident. The compensation is based on the types of damages an individual has suffered as a result of an accident. Generally, damages fall into one of two general categories, economic damages and non-economic damages.

Types of Economic Damages

Economic damages are measurable and identifiable such as medical bills and property damage. An injured person can also claim past and future lost wages.  Compensation for these damages is meant to make an injured person whole again.

Medical Expenses

Following an accident, an injured person often requires medical care for the injuries they suffered. Accordingly, compensation can be awarded for a variety of medical services such as emergency room care, hospital care, physical therapy, and specialized medical care.  Additionally, out of pocket medical expenses such as co-pays are financially compensable as well.

Lost Wages

Depending on the severity of their injuries, an injured person may be unable to work temporarily or permanently. Accordingly, an injured person can be compensated for the period of work they missed due to their injuries and if unable to return to work, receive a financial award reflecting the amount of money they would have earned over the course of their career had the injury not occurred.  Finally, an injured person can also be compensated for any vacation or sick days they used as a result of the injury.

Non-Economic Damages

Non-economic damages are damages that are not quantifiable by an item such as a medical bill. A financial award for non-economic damages is meant to compensate an injured person for present and future pain and suffering caused by their injuries.  An injured person can also claim hedonic damages which are based on the loss of enjoyment for activities they are no longer unable to perform as a result of their injuries.

Loss of Consortium

An accident may result in permanent injuries affecting not just the injured person, but also their spouse. The law recognizes this and allows a spouse to claim damages and receive financial compensation.  The spouse’s damages are based on the loss of enjoyment and companionship the injured spouse provided before the occurrence of the accident.

Punitive Damages

Sometimes, an injury occurs due to the willful and wanton actions of another individual.  An injured person can be compensated by claiming punitive damages which are meant to punish the person who caused their injury.  New Jersey law limits these damages at five times the combined amount of economic and non-economic damages, or at $350,000, whichever is greater.

How Can A Freehold Personal Injury Attorney Help Me?

An attorney can advise you regarding the types of damages for which you can receive compensation. Additionally, an attorney can help maximize the compensation you are entitled to. To schedule a free consultation and case evaluation with an experienced Freehold personal injury attorney at Lomurro Munson LLC, please call us today at 732-482-9285 or contact us online for more information.