Freehold New Jersey Truck Accident Lawyers Provide Zealous Representation After Tragic Crashes

In 2015, 3,852 people were killed in accidents involving large trucks. Only 16 percent of these deaths were truck drivers. The remaining 84 percent of the fatalities were motor vehicle drivers and passengers, as well as pedestrians, motorcyclists, and bicyclists. Truck accidents often involve both state and federal laws. At Lomurro Law, our New Jersey truck accident attorneys are knowledgeable in the multiple laws impacting a truck accident victim’s claim.

Why are truck accidents so deadly?

Truck accidents often cause serious injuries and death. In rare cases, the individuals involved in a truck accident may walk away with minor injuries. Trucks may weigh 20-30 times more than a standard motor vehicle. A truck’s additional mass makes it much harder for it to brake quickly. In fact, a truck may come to a stop 20 to 40 percent farther than a car if they started braking at the same time. If a truck driver is not paying attention and suddenly needs to stop, the truck may slam into other cars in front of it, causing a serious collision. Sudden braking is also a primary cause of jackknifing, when a truck’s trailer swings around to the side. The trailer may hit other cars in its path.

In addition, many truck drivers drive long, boring routes and work for hours at a time. Although some laws and regulations issue limits on how long a truck driver may drive in one shift, these rules are not always followed. Truck drivers, anxious to reach their destination, may drive when they are excessively tired. In some crashes, truck drivers have not slept for more than 24 hours. Some truck drivers turn to illegal drugs, like cocaine and methamphetamine, to help them stay awake and drive.

Truck accident liability in New Jersey

On New Jersey’s public roads, all drivers have a duty to operate their vehicles in a manner that is reasonable and safe under the circumstances. When a driver fails to follow traffic laws or is otherwise negligent while driving and causes an accident, that driver may be liable for damages that result.

In truck accidents, the trucking company may also face liability for:

  • Negligent hiring
  • Negligent retention
  • The failure to perform scheduled maintenance on trucks

Trucking companies have a duty to thoroughly investigate a potential driver’s history before that driver is hired. If the company did not conduct a proper background check, or if it ignored red flags (for example, if the truck driver had been cited for accidents while driving for a different company), the company may face liability if the driver causes an accident. In addition, if the company retained the driver after the driver was involved in an accident or had incurred traffic citations, the company may face liability.

A trucking company may also face liability for a crash if it failed to properly maintain its trucks and mechanical failure was a primary cause of the accident.

Contact our Freehold NJ truck accident attorneys for a free consultation

If you were injured, or a loved one was killed in a truck accident, contact Lomurro Law today. Our New Jersey truck accident attorneys understand the complicated relationship between state and federal laws in these cases, and pursue truck accident claims to the fullest extent of the law. To schedule your free consultation with our attorneys, call 732-414-0300 or contact us online.